Summertime means taking vacations, being outdoors, and enjoying dips in the pool. While it may be the best time of the year for many, keeping your guard up for seasonal risks is well advised. Here are a few tips to keep in mind while you are soaking up the sun.
- Pools – If you are installing a pool or already have one, pools do increase the liability risk on your premises. Make sure that you have adequate liability protection on your home insurance policy. Consider adding an umbrella insurance policy for added security. And check that you have the proper fencing around the pool. Town codes and ordinances require this as do the insurance companies. Swimming in pairs is always a good idea as well.
- Swing sets – Kids are out of school and the swing set is about to get a lot of use. Take a good look at the condition of the swing set to make sure there is no wood rot or loose nuts and bolts. Ensure it is in good working condition.
- Grills – Summer is a great time for a cookout. But to be safe, make sure the grill is a good distance from your home. And check your propane tank for any leaks or malfunctions. Don’t forget to turn off the grill when you are finished!
- Decks – Your deck usually will get most of its use during the summer months. Check for rot or other deterioration, and make sure to repair or replace loose boards or steps. And take care of any protruding nails. Summertime means lots of bare feet!
- Vacation – If you will be traveling away from the home on vacation, consider shutting off the water in the home. And also make sure your washer hoses are in good shape. Replace them if they seem worn or old. Some of the more frequent home insurance claims are from water damage. Taking steps to reduce that risk is a wise choice.
- Rental Car – If you will be renting a car while you are on vacation, check in with your insurance agent to make sure coverage will apply to a rental vehicle. In most situations, it will. But if not, it would be a good idea to purchase the insurance coverage offered by the rental agency.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at (203) 740-9838 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org$270
Hope you have a safe and fun summer!